Jason M. Pottenger
A strong sense of justice and the love of a good fight is what motivated Jason to become a trial lawyer. “My profession allows me to reach out, help people in need and have a positive impact on their lives. I feel honored and humbled to have the opportunity to do that on a daily basis. I also enjoy keeping corporations and insurance companies in check. I can’t imagine having to make my living representing companies instead of people,” commented Jason.
A native of Joplin, Mo., Jason came to Kansas City upon graduating from the University of Tulsa College of law in 1992. He immediately had the opportunity to gain trial experience. In his very first jury trial he obtained a $100,000.00 verdict representing a client who had been injured in a “slip and fall” accident. He also greatly expanded the protections available to injured workers by making new law in his first workers compensation trial.
Jason has successfully represented plaintiffs in jury trials in state courts in Missouri and Kansas and Federal court in Missouri. He has successfully litigated construction site accidents, trucking accidents, automobile accidents, premises liability and employment discrimination cases. Jason is able to obtain excellent results for his clients because defense lawyers respect his trial skills and his ability to relate to jurors.
He was recently honored by being selected as “Best of the Bar” in the Kansas City Business Journal. This prestigious award is based on voting by other attorneys and recognizes his professional accomplishments in the areas of Personal Injury and Workers Compensation.
Jason is licensed to practice in Missouri and Kansas. He is a member of the American Trial Lawyers Association, the Kansas Trial Lawyers Association and the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys Workplace Injury Litigation Group. He is married, has three children and is an active member of Country Club Christian Church.
Areas of Practice
- Truck Collisions
- Motor Vehicle Collisions
- Automobile Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Overhead Powerline Injuries
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Missouri, 1992
- Kansas, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 1992
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1993
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1992
Honors: Vice-President, Student Bar Association
- University of Missouri – Columbia, Columbia, Missouri
- Randall Glenn v. Stoneload, 894 S.W.2d 713 (Mo. App. W.D. 1995)
- Missouri Case Law Update, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, 2001
- “Co-Employee Litigation in Missouri”, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association Seminar, 2006
- Handling Premises Liability Claims, Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, 2005
Honors and Awards
- Missouri/Kansas Superlawyers
- Kansas City Business Journal Best of the Bar
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, 2003 – Present
Board of Governors
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association, 1993 – Present
Past Employment Positions:
- Yonke, Arnold, Newbold, Winter & Jacoby, 1992 – 2000
Pro Bono Activities
- Youth Football Coach, 2005 – Present
- Phi Gamma Delta